Objectives of SQCC
- To ensure the availability of quality seed by enforcing the quality control mechanisms to the farmers.
- To increase the income of farmers through seed production and distribution in the national as well as in the international markets.
- To substitute import of seed from abroad.
- To assure supply of quality seed in the market.
- To fulfill the above mentioned objectives HMG/N has established Secretarial of NSB, CSTL, Seed Certification Unit and Seed/Variety Registration Unit under SQCC.
Policy and Strategy
- Seed Act 2045 (First Amendment 2064)
- Seed Regulation 2054
- National Seed Policy 2056
- Priority program
Secretariat of Nepal Seed Board (NSB)
As per the provision made in Seed Act, Govt. of Nepal has constituted a National Seed Board to advise Govt. of Nepal on formulating and executing national seed policies. It has three sub-committees, such as variety approval, release and registration sub-committee, program planning/formulation and monitoring sub-committee and quality standards determination and management sub-committee to advice and recommend and support NSB on different seed quality related issues.
- Preparation of seed balance sheet
- To arrange meetings of different committees
- Monitoring and implementation of decisions made by the committee and sub-committees
- Database management of released varieties
Central Seed Testing Laboratory
Govt. of Nepal has established CSTL under the provision made by Nepal Gazette on 28 Oct. 1996 (12 Kartik 2058) to make uniformity all seed testing laboratories in seed testing activities for providing quality service to the clients. It is the authorized government lab which is designated by ISTA. Other seed testing laboratories under DOA, NARC, AIC, SSSC/Private sector are established and run under the close supervision of CLTL.
- Cross checking referee and enforcement samples tested for different quality attributes,
- Preparation of seed testing guidelines,
- Monitoring and inspection of laboratories running under NARC, DOA and NGO’s,
- Develop and revise the seed standards,
- Working on problematic sample,
- Carrying out training and other coordinating activities.
Seed Certification Unit
Separate Seed Certification unit was established with the establishment of SQCC in 2002 however, the function was performed by the SDQCSS. Seed Certification is a comprehensive quality control system which aims to make available quality seed to the farmers. As per provision of Seed Act 1988, seed certification in Nepal is voluntary, but truthful labeling is compulsory.
Major functions of this unit:
- Field inspection,
- Issuing of certification tags,
- Seed certification and monitoring of certification works,
- Preparation of field inspection and seed certification guidelines,
- Develop and revise the field standards,
- Training and coordination.
Seed/Variety Registration Unit
With the emergence of SQCC under MOAC, this unit is established under SQCC in 2002. This unit has great responsibilities to control seed quality from variety development to marketing on seed to growers and traders are the major concerned with this unit.
Major functions of this unit
- Registration of released/national listed varieties,
- Conducting DUS/VCU/Grow-Out Test,
- Registration of imported/exported seeds,
- Monitoring and inspection of seed market to control seed quality,
- Training and coordination.
- Program planning and reporting.